Thursday, February 14, 2013

Heart in Hand

Every year for Valentine's Day our student council puts every student's name on a big red heart and they stick them on the banisters around our school. I love this tradition because whether or not you have your own special Valentine doesn't mean that you won't get one.

Each year upon entering school on  Valentine's Day, students gather in the hallways, around the banisters to find their heart. Once they find it, they take it and decide what to do with it. Some stick it on their lockers while others take them and have their friends write some nice little note about how great they think they are. One would think this whole routine could be disastrous for some students, but surprisingly I have never heard of students bullied with their hearts as fodder.

The teachers in  our school have pink hearts made and these hearts outline our main office. There are some students who go to great lengths to get their teacher's heart to bring it to them. Each student who does this holds the teacher's heart in both hands, smiles as they give it to the teacher, and the teacher is ALWAYS surprised and elated that some student thought of them on this day we show others we care.

I hold my students' hearts in my hand every day. I write on their hearts my comments for growth. I smile my comments in class each day we are together. It is my hope that I too, hold their hearts with both hands as I hand them back to my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment