Monday, June 23, 2014

Teacher Summer Week 3

This week I am participating in the Denver Writing Project's Tech Matters institute. It is a week where we get time to see some technology, play with it, and we actually have time to play with our new skills. The purpose of today's post is to help me figure out what I'm actually going to try to pull off this week.

I struggled with my Writing Lab students last year, there is no other way to put it. I want to do an overhaul of the class to create more authentic voices in the room. I am thinking that I want to have students create blogs where they write to a specific audience of their choosing. I am thinking that they can use Google Docs and Schoology to play with their writing before they post.

One of the things that intrigues me is the idea of having them work through the semester in "Make Cycles" that I have learned from the #CLMOOC that I've participated in this summer. The idea being that in a set amount of time you make something that is web/technology based. My ideas so far:

  • create an avatar
  • create a how-to about something they know a lot about (medium is optional)
  • write/create a review about something they know about
  • find a blogger in the area of their interest and follow that person's writing (I need to set up specific things for them to look for) to use as a mentor writer
  • use our discussion board each day for writing warmup and then post their favorite each Friday that we meet (every other Friday)
  • use G+ as a place to post writing and collaborate, how this will look I'm still thinking about.
It is important to me that my students re-find a voice for themselves that is authentic to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment