Monday, December 2, 2013

Sunday Blues

Today is my first day back at work since attending the National Writing Project Annual Meeting and NCTE in Boston. I had so much energy and excitement about the people I was surrounded with and who I met and talked with about the things that really matter in our profession of teaching kids how to read and write. I have felt energized and excited since attending.

That is why I could not figure out last night why I had the Sunday blues so badly. It felt like a heavy load was held over me, the thought of work made me feel tired - like I just couldn't move on. I went to the grocery store and couldn't even motivate for what to cook for the week.

On my drive home the orange-red sunset over the mountains near my house shook me loose. I began to think to myself, "Self, you love your job. You love what you do. This is what you have chosen. This is your place. What's your problem?" And I was right, I do love what I do. I love to see my students learn and ponder and read and write. It's a fun job.

Last week Kathy Collins asked what is coming between me and my students when I confer. Well...now I am asking what is coming between me and my students enjoying the creation of learning. Why does it have to feel like drudgery? Why can't we put the fun back in learning? Who says it has to be a slog?

No comments:

Post a Comment